Monday, January 5, 2015

Let's Back Up To Christmas

So you know how sometimes you plan everything out in your head and you're really excited for something, but then when it actually happens, it's nothing like how you planned or envisioned it and everything goes wrong?  That happened to me two Christmases ago.  But this past Christmas?  Well this past Christmas was nothing like that.  This past Christmas was absolutely perfect.  Everything that I wanted to do got done, everything that I wanted to happen happened.  It was Ila's first obviously... and it was the first year that Eden somewhat understood what was going on... and for those two reasons, it was so, so, so, so special.

A quick recap of our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day:

Mary was waiting for Eden when she came downstairs on Christmas Eve.


I explained to Eden that Santa would be picking Mary up that night, and Eden said her goodbyes.  Then we had our big annual Christmas Eve breakfast - sausage and bacon and eggs and biscuits and Christmas pancakes.


After breakfast, Eden and "Ila" got to open their Christmas Eve box that my mom sent them - their Christmas jammies, a Christmas movie and movie snacks.



They got Mickey Saves Santa, and the four of us snuggled up on the couch to watch it together.

When that was over, Dustin headed outside to secretly start putting together Eden's Christmas present, and Eden and I did some baking.  We made a key lime pie that we took to my grandma's house that evening, and we made shortbread bites that we took to my other grandma's house the next day.


Then we got ready to go to Christmas Eve church.


Eden wore a dress that was her great-grandma's (my Grandma Jan) dress when she was a little girl on the farm in Iowa.


It was really special, and Eden was absolutely precious in it.

We stopped on the way to church at my dad and Susie's so that they could give Eden and Ila their presents.


Then Christmas Eve church, where, as far as I'm concerned, singing Silent Night by candlelight NEVER gets old.  And then to Pops and Granny's house to celebrate with my dad's side of the family.  Granny got the kids a little seesaw... HUGE HIT!








I love the mess and chaos that is Christmas.

We got home late that night, but Eden didn't forget that she needed to put some cookies and milk out for Santa.


And we left some oats and carrots for the reindeer too.


Eden and Ila went to sleep, and Dustin and I went to work getting everything set up for Christmas morning.  And Dustin had to go back outside to get rid of the carrots because the dogs wouldn't eat them.

We woke Eden up bright and early on Christmas Day.



I read her note to her, and she raced to the backdoor to see...


A TRAMPOLINE!  Eden was one happy little girl!

Santa didn't feel like putting the net around the trampoline that night, but he left the box so that Daddy could do it.

Then Ila had to try out her new swing.


Then we quickly got ready to go to Christmas morning church with my mom, grandma and aunt.




After church, we went back to my grandma's house for lunch and presents.  A bunch more family joined us, and we spent HOURS playing Heads Up.  My new favorite game!








We went home that evening, put our pajamas back on, and Eden (and Ila) got to open their presents from me and Dustin.



Not pictured is a little pink rifle that Dustin got for Eden.  I'm pretty sure he's been waiting for that moment since the day Eden was born.  He was so excited to give it to her that he let her open it before I was even in the room!


their ornaments for the year - a mermaid for Ila and a princess for Eden

My heart was so full when I went to bed on Christmas night that I thought it would burst.  I had an amazing two days with so many loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment