Sunday, July 22, 2012

It's The Little Things...

Today was a very good day!

We slept in (as much as Eden allowed).  Dustin made eggs and bacon.  We relaxed for a bit.  And then we decided to go swimming.  So we loaded up beach towels, fishing poles, snorkel gear, the pit, two dogs and a baby and headed out to some land that my family owns about fifteen minutes from our house. 

We swam and ate guacamole dogs (they're the best!) and watched the dogs run around, and then while Eden napped, Dustin and I snorkeled around the tank and watched the fish.  On the way out, we saw a bunch of deer and fed them some corn.

There was nothing extraordinary about today.  But it was a fantastic day.  Eden obviously will not remember anything about today, but I hope that there are many days just like today in the future that she will remember. 

I have big stuff planned for her... trips to the zoo and waterparks and one day Disney World.   I want to make sure she sees all fifty states before she graduates high school like my parents did with me and my brother, and I hope she gets to go beyond the United States many times as well.  And I hope she has wonderful memories of all those things.

But I hope she has wonderful memories of these small days too.  Today was special in it's unspecialness.  It wasn't planned.  It didn't cost any money.  It was a little on the redneck side.  But it was perfect.  And we were happy.  And it's days like today that I want Eden to look back on and remember when she thinks about her childhood.  I want her to know that things don't have to be big and fancy and expensive to be special.  The big things are great, but it's the little things that count.  Just a lazy Sunday afternoon spent with your family can be amazing.









No comments:

Post a Comment