Wednesday, August 15, 2018

School is in Session!

It's the first day of school, it's the first day of school!

Oh, how I love the first day of school!


New beginnings and all that jazz!


It's like that scene in Titanic... which is the greatest movie ever made, by the way... even though Dustin makes fun of me for loving it SO MUCH... but I do... it's amazing, and nothing else compares...  Anyways, when Old Rose is describing the boat, and she's all, "The china had never been used.  The sheets had never been slept in."


That's how I feel about the first day of school.  And even though it's no longer MY first day of school, I now experience it through my children.  And I'm all, "The tennis shoes had never been worn!  The crayons had never been colored with.  THE WORKBOOKS HAD NEVER BEEN WRITTEN IN!"


Oh, it's just so exciting!  Everything is clean, and fresh, and BRAND NEW!  I LOVE IT!


Last night, after I tucked the girls in for the last time before pre-school and 1st grade, I walked around looking at everything... their new tennis shoes and backpacks ready by the back door... the first day of school clothes, folded and ready to be put on... I packed their lunches, filled up Eden's water bottle, set everything out on the counter... And I was just so thrilled for them!


Am I sad summer break is over?  Of course!  But we enjoyed it to the fullest, and now I intend to enjoy the school year to the fullest!


Both girls were very excited to start school!  Eden told me she'd been waiting all summer to get to go back!  And Ila... well after spending her whole life watching Eden go to school, she was so eager to get there herself!


Dustin and I both took them this morning, and Eden happily skipped across the parking lot and into Building 2 all by herself.  We walked Ila to her room in Building 1, and as excited as she had been, the tears started flowing when it was time for me to leave.  I was expecting that from her, and I held her and hugged her and assured her that "Grownups come back.", which is a line from Daniel Tiger, her current favorite show.  I told her she had to be brave, I promised her that she was going to have fun, and I said it was time for me to go.  I walked out with my stomach in knots because she was upset, but at the same time, having been through this preschool program with Eden, I know she can't possibly be anywhere better and I knew that she would be happy within the hour!  And sure enough, about two hours after I left, I was getting text messages from the preschool principal assuring me that Ila was indeed fine, and she even sent me a few pictures of Ila's beaming face, so proud to be a big girl and at school!


Here are their first day of school photos:
















Eden was so insistent on wearing that flower headband thing!  I am not a fan, but she loves it, and ultimately, it's HER head and HER first day, so... She's happy!


And now I'm down to one!  This little crazy, adorable boy!  Everyone asked me all morning, "What are you going to do now that you only have one?"  But those people obviously don't know James that well, because believe me... he will keep me plenty busy!  Ha!




Here's to a great school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment