Thursday, June 6, 2013

Summer, You're Killing Me

About a week and a half ago, I was walking to my car while Dustin was mowing the grass, and I got hit in the leg by a rock that the lawnmower threw.  My leg bled, swelled up and is still black and blue.  Ever since that "near-death experience" as I keep referring to it ("What if that rock had hit me in the head, Dustin?  I could be dead right now!"), nothing else has gone my way.  That was the first of many unfortunate incidents in my life lately.  A few days after my harrowing "near-death experience", I got attacked by a bird in the Babies R Us parking lot.  I was walking across the parking lot when I heard a loud squawk.  I thought to myself, "Hm, that bird sounds really close to me", and a split second later, the bird crashed into the side of my head.  (I use the word "attack" loosely.)  The bird landed at my feet, and I swear he stood there glaring at me for getting in his way.  Eden looked at the bird, then at me, and then, I kid you not, she flapped her little arms up and down and said, "fly, fly, fly."  Thank you, Eden.  Our air-conditioner was also broken for four days while we waited for a part to come in.  Then after the new part was installed, it broke again.  Three evenings ago, I was outside picking up Eden's toys, and I stepped in a hole and twisted my knee.  (I sat in the grass feeling sorry for myself until I saw a tarantula slowing making his way to me.  Then I ran like lightning.)  The next morning I rinsed off our back deck with the water hose, and when I finished, I picked Eden up and went to walk down the steps.  I of course slipped in the water and fell backwards.  I couldn't catch my fall since I was holding Eden so I just kept going, landing on my back on the steps.  I laid there for a while, stunned, with the breath knocked out of me.  I went inside to check my injuries and found another bruise already forming on my back.  Eden has also decided to go on another napping strike during all of this, but after falling down my deck steps, I did manage to actually get her to fall asleep.  I had JUST laid her down and was planning to lay my injured body on a bag of frozen peas.  My knee and back were aching, and I was pretty tired since my day had started at 5 a.m. when Drake got sick all over the living room (and I don't mean the good sick where he threw up).  But Dustin called to inform me that the air-conditioner repair man was fixing to be at the house for the third (and hopefully final) time.  He pulled up the driveway a few minutes later, the dogs went crazy over the strange vehicle, and Eden woke up and decided that her ten minute power nap was sufficient for the day.  I won't mention every other thing that has happened to me lately, but trust me, it's a lot.  Instead of asking me how my day was when he gets home from work now, Dustin asks me what mishaps I've had that day.

Despite my misfortunes as of late, summer is in full swing and we're enjoying it.  So far, Eden took her very first boat ride:


played in the sprinkler for the first time:




(I sat down in the grass to take these sprinkler pictures... right into an ant bed.  My entire right leg is covered in ant bites.)

and has gone swimming a few times:



Dustin and I also celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary on the thirty-first of May.


In what has become my life lately, we arrived at the restaurant we chose that evening to find that it had shut down.  We went to another restaurant where I ordered prime rib, only to be told that they were out.  "Of course you are", I replied.  The night turned out very nice though.  I gave Dustin a bottle of wine on our wedding day, and he's been saving it for five years.  That night after we put Eden to bed, we sat outside under the stars and drank the wine.  The bottle now sits on the shelf next to the bottle of wine we drank the night we got engaged, the bottle of champagne we drank at our wedding and the bottle of pink champagne we drank the day Eden was born.


Okay, I'm off to soak in the bathtub and drink a beer now.  I freaking need it.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you included the picture of Susie, Eden and your dad which shows Eden's backside, because between her adorable swimming suit, her little swimmers and her fabulous swimming cap, I love that picture!

    The anniversary picture of you and Dustin is wonderful as well.

    Chickens eat fire ants .... Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Waiting for a part to arrive is the worst. All you can think about is how easily a situation could be fixed if it wasn’t for that one little detail. Of course, when your air conditioning is out it seems like every other thing goes wrong also. I think it’s that the heat makes you crazy and irritable!

    Ambrose @ Brown & Reaves Services, Inc.

    ReplyDelete