Monday, May 6, 2013

My Little Broken Heart

I've been rocking Eden to sleep for almost sixteen months now.  Sometimes I had to make sure she was completely asleep before I put her into her crib, sometimes she let me put her down while she was still a little bit awake.  But even on the nights that I put her into her crib still awake, I still rocked her for a while first.  Tonight after we got done reading our bedtime stories, I started rocking her, and she started crying.  I had no idea why so I kept rocking her.  She started crying harder.  I switched positions, sang a song, nothing worked, she kept crying.  "Night-night, night-night", she kept telling me.  Finally it dawned on me what she wanted.  I put her into her crib, she immediately stopped crying and laid down to go to sleep.  This is a huge event - especially for Eden, aka the worst sleeper in the world.  The fact that my child can completely put herself to sleep is a major accomplishment.  But oh my goodness, my heart hurts.  I walked downstairs with tears in my eyes.  My baby no longer wants me to rock her at bedtime?  I'm a sad mama tonight...

swinging at the park on Saturday

1 comment:

  1. Be proud of her! She is learning self-reliance and will sleep better for it as a result.

    ReplyDelete