Friday, September 14, 2012

It's A New Day... And I'm Feeling Good

I'm up bright and early this morning searching the internet for Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas/1st Birthday Party ideas.  I realize I'm a little early, but this time of the year flies by, and well, I hafta make sure Eden's first Holiday Season is spectacular.  As much as I don't want to rush time, I am just so excited about the next few months!

We've had a rough week.  After I was on here bragging about how Baby Girl takes two hour naps now in the afternoons, she decided to just stop with that sleep nonsense altogether.  Naps... nighttime... all of it.  For a little over a week, nobody in the house slept... ever.  But the crazy thing is, Eden was happy.  She wasn't waking up fussy or upset.  She was waking up ready to go, ready to play.  (Well she would cry if left in her crib.)  So she would be in bed with us, crawling all over us at three in the morning, laughing and pulling our hair.  Poor Dustin... there are so many times that I would think, okay, I really need to get up and take her out of here so that Dustin can get some sleep.  But I would be so exhausted that I... just... couldn't... get... up.  So we would both lay there, half-asleep, letting her crawl all over us and sticking a leg out every once in a while when she got too close to the edge.  She would fall back asleep after seriously, HOURS of this, only to wake up every morning by seven ready to go for the day.  Naps were just as bad.  One morning she actually took a TEN MINUTE nap.  After just ten minutes, she was awake, awake, awake and ready to play.  Me?  I was cranky.  Irritable.  Exhausted.  NOT ready to play.  Going slightly crazy.  Two nights ago, I texted a friend to tell her about Eden and how she never sleeps and crawls all over us at three in the morning, and she immediately called me.  She said she had been in that exact situation, and after listening to me freak out and talk about how tired I was and how I was pretty much sucking at being a mom right now because I did NOT have any energy to play with my baby when she wanted to play with me, she assured me that I was not a sucky mom and gave me advice.  We made a few easy adjustments (eating her solids right before bedtime to keep her belly full, moving up her bedtime to keep her from getting overtired, making her room as dark as possible), and she has slept so much better the past two nights.  I am a happy mama today because I actually feel well-rested.  Now if only I could figure out how to get her to take longer naps!

But for today, it's a new day, and I'm feeling good!

Now I have a holiday season to plan!

Happy Friday!

 

2 comments:

  1. does Eden's mommy remember that Eden's mommy was not a good sleeper and did not like naps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Eden's mommy is aware that she gets this wonderful trait from her!

      Delete