Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Road Trip! - Alabama (and some beach pics from Matagorda)

Thursday, May21st

This was a long day of driving (from Biloxi to Birmingham), but we made a couple of stops to make it easier on Eden and Ila.  First up - Mobile, where we toured the USS Alabama.




Eden loved the actual ship, but absolutely HATED all the steep, narrow stairs and ladders that we had to climb to get around the ship.  They freaked her out.


I've had my current car for almost a year, and up until this trip, Eden had no idea that it has a DVD player in it.  On this day, I finally caved and introduced it to Eden.  Not because SHE needed it.  She was fine, she was happy.  But because I was fixing to lose my mind and could no longer answer questions about where we were, where we were going, who was going to be there, where the people in the other cars were going, why that sign is blue but this one is yellow, ahhhhh!  So finally, I was all, "HEY!  Who wants to watch Frozen?!"

We stopped again in Montgomery to take a break from the car and eat dinner, and we made it to Birmingham around 8:00 that night.  We stayed at the Embassy Suites, so Eden had her own little room.  She was verrryyy excited about having her own little room and went around showing us that, "Look, I have my own table!  Look, I have my own telephone!  Look, I have my own TV!  Look, I have my own window!"  


Friday, May 22nd

We checked out of the hotel Friday morning...


...went and ate pancakes and then spent the day at the Birmingham Zoo.




we discovered a hole!  (Dustin tested the goose out first... she was friendly!)





this seemed safer in person?





The weather was perfect for our day at the zoo... not too hot, not too cold, so the animals were out and about and playing.

We left that afternoon and drove to Auburn.


Alabama really is such a beautiful state; I enjoyed the drive from Birmingham to Auburn.



My mom also stayed at this hotel, so Eden had sleepovers with her on both Friday and Saturday nights!

And then Saturday... the wedding... the whole reason for the trip!

Saturday, May 23rd

My cousin, Jonathan, and his adorable wife, Kelli, got married on an old plantation about thirty minutes outside of Auburn.

my cousin, Calli, is modeling on the front steps for me

This was one of my most favorite weddings that I've ever been too.  So gorgeous, so southern, so charming.




Eden tore the dance floor up!  As soon as the band started, she ran out to the dance floor, and she barely left it the rest of the night.  (My mom had to chase her down when it was time for Jonathan and Kelli's first dance.)  Even after night fell and the floor filled up, Eden was still out there, dancing amongst everyone.


I just love that picture of Eden dancing all by herself.  Oh, to be a three year old!




It was a good week; it was a long week.  We left Alabama on Sunday morning at 6:00 and made it to our driveway at 7:30 that evening.  I didn't even attempt to entertain Eden; she just watched movie after movie and movie.  Ila slept eighty percent of the day.  Thank you, baby!

Yay for Eden and Ila's first trip out of Texas!

*****

Dustin and I celebrated seven years of marriage this past Sunday, and we spent the weekend in Matagorda.  I was better prepared for Ila this beach trip, and she was much happier once she had a little fish to play and splash in!







No comments:

Post a Comment